Spray gun painting: simple steps towards a great result
Modern repair is simply impossible to imagine without numerous painting operations. With their help it is easy to make simple, monochromatic surfaces with color creating a certain atmosphere. It is not difficult to draw complex geometric patterns or artistic elements of decoration. Painting with an airbrush is capable of ensuring the speed and at the same time high quality of applying various coatings. With the help of such a tool, it is possible to work not only with liquid compositions, but also to form coarse layers on the walls, for example, fur coats or decorative plaster.
- 1 General recommendations and rules for working with the spray gun
- 2 Preparation of paint for work, selection of viscosity
- 3 The technology of painting the walls with an airbrush, applying a fur coat, putty
- 4 Ceiling painting technology
- 5 Woodwork and plywood
- 6 Conclusion
- 7 Top selling spray guns of 2018
General recommendations and rules for working with the spray gun
The main problem that arises when working with an airbrush inside a closed room - fine suspension in the air. It can be dangerous if coatings are applied from nitro-enamel and other special mixtures. You also need to follow certain rules, mechanics of moving tools and paint spraying techniques in order to obtain high-quality, uniform coatings.
If you summarize the basic recommendations in a short list, painting with an airbrush should:
- be held in a ventilated roomfor example, with the flow of air from the back of the operator, with a rounding of the staining area;
- be conducted in a room where the air temperature is in the range from 15 to 30 degrees with an average humidity of 55%;
- include preparatory activities (before using the spray gun with a compressor or a compact electric device, you must carefully dissolve the paint and adjust the configuration of the torch).
A huge role is played by the mechanics of moving the tool nozzle along the surface being painted. The tool nozzle should be moved strictly horizontally or vertically, avoiding inclined trajectories of movement.
The technology is simple enough to understand. Stained areas are analyzed and divided according to their importance. For example, in some places the lowest attention may be called the lower surface, inaccessible to the eye. In the middle segment of importance are visible parts with a small area, for example, the ends of the shelves. And the areas with the maximum visibility and area should be painted most carefully and accurately.
The second important factor is painting mechanics. No need to turn on the torch at the beginning of the staining area. It is advisable to start the paint supply outside the area of the workpiece in order to work on it with a uniform, stable torch. Turn off the paint supply should also be outside the area of the painted part. In this way it is easy to achieve uniform application and high quality coatings.
Preparation of paint for work, selection of viscosity
The first rule that should be followed when diluting paints: follow manufacturer's instructions. However, after thorough mixing and (for individual compositions) filtration, the final adjustment of the instrument is made. To properly dilute the paint for the spray gun, it is recommended to create test stand.
To test the operation of the sprayer hang (for example, in the doorway) a sheet of cardboard. A newspaper is hung on it. After that, the viscosity of the paint for the spray gun is selected as follows.
- It is necessary to prepare the initial mixture, following the manufacturer's instructions. The resulting composition is poured into the tank, about 80% of its volume.
- Set the maximum air flow and width of the torch.
- Sprayed onto a newspaper.
- Visually determined by the presence of large sprays and uneven drips, which indicates the need to dilute the paint.
- About 5% of the volume of the solvent recommended by the manufacturer is added to the tank.
- Again, testing is done by spraying a torch onto a newspaper to determine the nature of the paint applied.
Repeat the check and add solvent steps until a stain is free of defects after spraying. The ideal preparation of paint for the spray gun can be described as the achievement of a uniform, consisting of fine mist in the area of the torch. Selected parameters (the number of ingredients) are recorded and used to prepare the following portions of paint.
Some craftsmen may insist that the manufacturer’s instructions are sufficient for obtaining optimum performance for the working mixture. However, for works of increased complexity, it is recommended to make a thorough determination of the viscosity of the paint using the method described above. This will provide optimal results, for example, when working with stencils. Also, paint for the spray gun on the metal (for applying thin layers) must necessarily be sprayed with a uniform fine torch.
The technology of painting the walls with an airbrush, applying a fur coat, putty
Before any painting operations in the room should be carried out preparatory work. These include:
- dismantling of sockets, switches, carefully isolating them from possible ingress of moisture;
- protection of masking tape, film and paper surfaces that can not be painted;
- ensuring ventilation and temperature conditions in the room.
Important! Considering the better paint, roller or spray gun, it should be borne in mind that the latter type of tool allows you to perform work quickly, bypassing the complexity of painting in the corners and other problem areas. In addition, with minimum accuracy and care with a paint torch, it is possible to form high-quality, uniform coatings.
Painting the walls with an airbrush can be done directly on the plaster and on the wallpaper (including textured). The mechanics of work in both cases is not difficult.
- In the tank of large volume the working mixture is kneaded. Wallpapers can be covered directly with water-based paint.
- For plaster work, pigment is squeezed into the container and white paint is poured. The mixture is thoroughly stirred until a homogeneous composition. For the selection of viscosity using water (for water-based paints) or recommended by the manufacturer of the solvent.
- A paint sprayer is going.
- The mixture is poured into a colorful tank.
- It is recommended to check the consistency by trying to paint invisible places. If necessary, the working mixture is drained and brought to optimum performance.
Paint spray gun from the compressor should be starting from the top. The nozzle line should be directed strictly perpendicular to the wall surface, the composition is sprayed from a distance of about 200 mm. It is necessary to move the tool horizontally, avoiding inclined movements. In the area of frames and window openings, the inclination of the nozzle axis is permitted when moving from the center to the edges of the areas to be painted.
Putting putty and fur coats
Houses covered with a fur coat are not only aesthetically pleasing. This decor is quite porous, retains heat, helping to save resources for heating and air conditioning.
The order of work is as follows.
- The wall is being prepared. Cleaning, removal of fragile areas of the coating, degreasing, priming with deep penetration compounds are carried out.
- The nature of the surface is analyzed.. If the height difference exceeds 5 mm, it is recommended to apply a rough coating. To do this, the putty is sprayed onto the wall with a spray gun.
- Draft layer of putty no need to smooth down, if the height differences do not exceed 3 mm. With the help of an airbrush, it is easy to achieve such an indicator to ensure good adhesion of the fur coat layer.
Putting a fur coat is made thin layers in several passes. If you want to get significant indicators of thermal insulation, the thickness of the coating is significant. In order to ensure the strength of the fur coat, more cement is added to the applied composition. After completion of the work and drying of the coating, you can additionally design the facade. For this the coat is dyed, using water-based formulations.
Ceiling painting technology
Painting the ceiling with an airbrush is done in a slightly different pattern than working on the surface of the walls. At the same time the best results are achieved in comparison with a roller or brushes.
Whitewashing the ceiling or spraying paint is done after the application of plaster. If you have to work on bare concrete, its surface is recommended to undergo deep penetration primer twice. To qualitatively paint the ceiling, you should:
- pick up a spray gun with a jet ejection length of not more than 700 mm;
- to direct the line of emission of paint strictly perpendicular to the surface of the ceiling;
- when moving the tool, do not linger in one area to avoid uneven coating thickness.
Correct paint spray gun ceiling should be fast circular movements. Over the entire processing area, one pace is maintained to form a smooth, high-quality coating. During the work recommended use eye and respiratory protection.
Woodwork and plywood
Coloring a tree is a very complicated operation. The material is characterized by sufficiently high absorbency, as well as low resistance to moisture from temperature changes.The choice of colors and processing technology depends on the place where the wooden part will be used.
- Indoors can be limited to the use of primers, antiseptic impregnation and water-based paints.
- For wooden furniture Indoors are used stain, varnish of the desired shade. They penetrate deep into the layer of treated wood, protecting the material well. Pentaphthalic dyes show good results.
- If planned do-it-yourself painting plywoodIt will take a long pretreatment with primers and linseed oil.
Important! As a material protection, wood can be painted with an airbrush using oil-based impregnations or special toning varnishes. They are able to show acceptable results of decoration, if we are talking about the walls of a wooden house or the surface of the wall paneling.
To get a good result of painting wood you need to follow a few simple rules. First, it’s worth getting ready for the cost of time right away. The surfaces of the tree are sanded and sanded. Paint should be dry matter only. If there is a possibility - the surfaces for painting are treated with a primer on wood and re-polished after drying.
It is recommended to work thin layers, giving everyone time to dry, even if the pigment used requires aging for at least 24 hours. Coloring continues until an acceptable result is achieved. The resulting drips and spray carefully pounded. When decorating a tree, you do not need to try to paint all areas evenly and tightly.
Lime whitewash - the easiest operation to protect wooden parts. To apply the spray gun preparing a mixture of very liquid consistency. Lime pre necessarily extinguished. Coloring is done in layers, with pauses for setting and drying.
After any work on painting, whitewashing, applying plaster or fur, the spray gun is carefully disassembled and cleaned.. This operation allows not only to keep the tool working longer, but also to reduce the time of the necessary settings for the next day.
General recommendations for painting operations are quite simple.Paying attention to the instructions of manufacturers of working compositions, carefully recording the proportions of the mixtures obtained, acting slowly and carefully, it is easy to achieve quality results even with minimal skills to work with the tool.
Top selling spray guns of 2018
Spray gun KE 85 S Elitech
Paint sprayer 6505 PRORAB
Spray electric Max-Pro "MPSG80 / 800V", 80 W
Hammer Prz110 spray gun
Airbrush STURM SG 9612